Monday, March 2, 2009

Ray's Hell Burger

It was a snowy Sunday in D.C., I didn't feel like cooking, and I didn't feel like going anywhere, the urge to drive somewhere and take shots with my new lens gave me the required energy to eat a burger. Ray's Hell Burger, or heck burger, or whatever it's called opened up in the Summer of 2008 right next to Ray's The Steaks, these are more of your local, not going to find this in a frommers, or on a travel show kind of places. Ray's Classic in Maryland, however you may see and have heard about.

Ray's Hell Burger is a special kind of burger, the butcher shop is on site, and is shared by the steak restaurant that shares the name. I can't tell you the exact meat that goes in or the ratio of meat and fat, although I am sure it's something like 85/15 or 80/20, whatever it is, it works. Burgers are ordered A La Carte, you start with simple burger and bun for 6.95, want cheese, ok, they range from your normal American and White Cheddar for 1.00, and go up to Epoisse (eh-pau) for $5.00. Now with the cheeses covered you can move onto other burger toppings, Foie Gras? Truffle Oil? Sure! Bacon and Ham? you can see from above Absolutely! Would you like your burger grilled Cajun style? Why yes, they do that do, want it cooked in cracked black pepper, of course. You can pretty much get whatever you want on the burger, however, and this is a big however, NO FRENCH FRIES!!!! Hold your overwhelming shock and comments for later. Ray's does offer sides, mac and cheese, and what they call cheesy tots, I had both, both were excellent in their own right. The mac and cheese was particularly good due to the fact copious amounts of cheese and white pepper was involved in the cooking, and then the tots were worth the $2.00 we spent on them, anything fried is good. Now back to this no french fry thing, how in the Hell (ha get how I worked that in there?) can you have a burger without fries? I know I can't, however once I saw the burger, and tasted the mac and cheese, the need for something else fried quickly went out the window.

When Liz and I went on Sunday, the weather was horrible and the line was pretty much to the door, seating is very limited, and during the busy times, next to impossible to get, you also are warned about sitting down before you order, also there is no website, the menu I found was from Flickr, it isn't mine so I am not posting it. My burger was cooked to perfection, although they missed the Cajun seasoning, they made up for in the Ray's Heck Sauce, don't know what it was, but enjoyed it, I don't ask questions when the line is backed up. I don't fault the staff for forgetting to dip my burger in spice, I know I will be back to enjoy it again.

A few concerns, parking is horrendous, even at 6 on a Sunday night in the middle of a snow storm (yes, it's that good) and I would have enjoyed a fried egg on my burger, and if someone from Ray's is reading this, which is a long shot, consider it, I'd pay another $1.50 for a fried egg.

On my scale of burger's where does this rank? Tough, the style is more of a burger joint, if that is the case, In-N-Out, White Manna, Ray's Hell Burger. Best burger I have had in D.C. at a Burger Joint? Yes, best burger I have had in the world? sadly no, however when I need a good burger fix, and since I do not have a grill, Ray's will get the call. Flickr set here


Location-

Ray's Hell Burger

1713 Wilson Blvd.

Arlington, VA 22209

703-841-0001



Metro - Blue Line - Rosslyn and walk down Wilson Blvd.

Orange Line - Courthouse, and walk down Wilson Blvd.



Tip - Try taking the metro if all possible, parking is a nightmare, also expect a wait, doesn't matter when you go. Don't bother looking for a website, it doesn't exist, and they serve BURGERS!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love a good burger also, although I am learning to just make my own. This place would be great to try differnt thing out. I am a little dissapointed that there are no fries, but those tatter tots...wow.

Unknown said...

I love burger. Ray's Hell Burger is a special kind of burger. The butcher shop is on site and is shared by the steak restaurant that shares the name. What a great place!

Thanks
Sam
My site

Anonymous said...

I stumbled on your blog whist tring to find out if there was anything I could eat at Rays since I no longer eat beef. Sadly the answer looks like no.

However, The Counter Burger has opened in Reston and my husband loves the beef burgers. I can eat the other 3 protein choices. So far, I'm loving the place.